Thursday, May 3, 2012

Lunch with JAGs & Dad's Visit


           After a great trip home to Texas, I returned to work on Monday morning. I have to say, I wasn’t real excited to be back, especially after I had been in Texas for a few days and I am definitely counting down the days until I get to come home. It’s not that I don’t like DC, it’s just that it’s not Texas and I’m ready to be home. I really have enjoyed my time here and I have gotten to see and experience more than I ever thought I would. This internship has been great for me and I’ve had a blast, but I’m just about ready for it to be over and I can’t wait to return to the Lone Star State for good!

            On Tuesday, I got a really cool task. I was asked to take a bill down to the Republican Cloakroom at the Senate Floor, so it could be entered into the record. I had never been down there before, and it was really awesome to be standing just outside the doors which lead to the floor. The task was really pretty simple and not very exciting for most people, but I thought it was pretty cool. On Tuesday night, Hope took all the interns out to dinner and we got to eat at the Old Ebbitt Grill with her and some UNT alumni. I enjoyed the dinner and conversation, even though I arrived super late…sorry Hope! (And thanks again for dinner)

            Wednesday morning I had a meeting with Congressman Bill Flores before work started. Congressman Flores represents Burleson, where my permanent address is, so he is technically my hometown Congressman. I met him over in the Capitol Visitor Center at 9:15 (I had gotten permission to go to this meeting and arrive at work late) and got to introduce myself and speak with him for a few minutes prior to a meeting he was attending. He had a staff member there to take a photo of us together, which was emailed to me later in the afternoon. I enjoyed getting to meet Congressman Flores and was thankful that he took the time to see me. Later in the afternoon, I finished scanning and emailing in all of the paperwork for my lease in Lubbock. After apartment shopping with my roommate during Accepted Students Weekend at Tech, we picked a place that we like and I got all the paperwork taken care of during the first part of the week. It feels good to have a place set up and I feel that much more ready to move to Lubbock and start school this fall!

            Thursday wasn’t very exciting and gave me nothing interesting to talk about. Friday, however, was one of the coolest days of my internship to date. Lieutenant Doug Ivanac (the Navy “fellow” who works for Senator Cornyn) has been a great friend this semester and has really given me a lot of great information about life in the Navy and the path to becoming a Naval Officer. He’s given me a lot of advice and helpful tips and has let me work on several research projects related to military issues which I’ve really appreciated. Friday, however, he really went the extra mile for me. Doug knows I want to be a Navy JAG and he found out through a friend of his in the liaison’s office that a Marine and Navy JAG were going to be on Capitol Hill for a briefing. They were Captain David O’Toole, USN (the Chief Judge in charge of Navy/Marine Corps trial judiciary) and Colonel John Ewers, USMC (the commanding officer for all Navy/Marine Corps trial litigators). Doug invited me to a lunch with these two officers and gave me the opportunity to meet my first real life JAGs. I cannot even describe how incredible of an opportunity this was for me and how truly blessed I am to have been able to do this. JAG officers are almost inaccessible from outside the military and the likelihood of a college undergrad ever getting to meet with one is microscopic. To be able to have lunch with TWO JAGs (especially two high ranking JAGs like these) and have the opportunity to ask them questions and hear their advice was simply priceless! I really owe Doug big time for this one and this one thing alone makes my entire internship here worth it. While I’ve gotten to do a lot of great things here, this was possibly the most important to my future and the most beneficial to me individually. I really can’t even describe how great this was!

Saturday morning, dad flew into town and I met him at the airport. We went to do a Capitol Tour, then hit up National Mall and museums, as well as the Lincoln Memorial. We saw a movie Saturday night, did more sightseeing on Sunday, and then went to church on Sunday night. Dad had never spent any extended time in DC before, and had only been here while working. He had never been to Capitol Hill or seen any of the sights before, so it was great to be able to show him around and spend the weekend hanging out with him. He also paid for everything and took me out to eat at real restaurants (like Macaroni Grill), which definitely beat peanut butter and jelly sandwiches!

No comments:

Post a Comment